Servings: 10 • Size: scant 1 1/4 cup • Points +: 5 • Smart Points: 5
Calories: 155 • Fat: 2 g • Carb: 36 g • Fiber: 18.5 g • Protein: 13.5 g
Sugar: 3.5 g • Sodium: 647 mg • Cholesterol: 4 mg
- 16 oz bag of 16 bean soup mix (discard flavor packet if it comes with it)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 oz low sodium smoked ham steak, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 small green pepper, diced (3/4 cup)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely diced
- 2/3 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 4 cups kale, stems removed and coarsely chopped
Rinse and soak beans overnight. Discard the soaked water the next day and place in a pot with 12 cups of water, cook uncovered 1 hour on medium-high heat.
Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, add oil and cook ham and cook until browned, 2 minutes, Add onions, carrot, garlic, green pepper, celery, green onions, cilantro, tomato sauce, cumin, salt and pepper and cook another 5 minutes, until soft.
Add to the beans along with the rosemary and thyme.
Lower heat to medium-low, cover and cook 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Uncover the pot, increase heat to medium-high and simmer until thick and the beans are cooked through, about 15 minutes.
Add the kale and cook an additional 10 to 15 minutes.